1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
i've learned to live within a budget - saving large amounts of money. i traveled to new places. i became an aunt. i got a tattoo. i learned how to run and even enjoy it a little bit!
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
i didn't make any resolutions last year, but i had a lot of ideas about how to live my life and i think i've done a pretty good job with most of them! ian and i had a date last night to go over our life constitution and to see how we're doing with it so far - to re-evaluate all those goals. i'll post some of those results later.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
babies like crazy! closest is my sis-in-law, ali, who gave birth to my niece, reese. my next closest baby is baby solomon, who belongs to my friend, sheri. but there were lots more! and more coming!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
israel, palestine, jordan, ghana, kenya, uganda, rwanda, south africa, australia, new zealand
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
i would really like to find myself pregnant by the end of this year. i aort of feel like 2010 had it all...it'd be a hard year to top, otherwise. but if not 2011, then 2012!
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
07/13 - came back from our travel
09/25 - carla got married
10/22 - my niece was born
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
coming back to the bay area, and going back to my life successfully, but while implementing so many life changes in a pretty natural way. saving money more than i ever have managed to do before.
9. What was your biggest failure?
haven't finished my book. wasn't able to stay off anti-depressants.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
yeah. had a nasty kidney infection at the beginning of the year and ended the year with a burst ovarian cyst.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
got a new car. lots of plane tickets. and some beautiful bookshelves.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
family and friends the world over.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
i can NOT believe that vanessa and zac broke up!
14. Where did most of your money go?
for the first half of the year - travel travel travel. since then, stuff for our apartment, i guess...rent etc. and still lots of visiting travel.
15. What were you really, really, really excited about?
coming back home!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
rome - phoenix, pursuit of happiness - kid cudi
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
eh. neither, i don't think. different year, different struggles, different excitements, same sharon.
ii. thinner or fatter?
iii. richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
wasted time on the internet and watching bad tv
20. How did you spend Christmas?
flying to hawaii with a recently ruptured ovarian cyst and a bottle of vicodin
21. How many one-night stands?
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
stayed in love
23. What was your favourite TV programme?
how i met your mother, big love, dexter, hoarders, intervention, obsessed
24. How will you see in the New Year?
i flew home from hawaii and then watched the ball drop on tv with ian.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
i shall consult goodreads. these got 5 stars:
life of pi - yann martel
when you reach me - rebecca stead
palestine - joe sacco
one crazy summer - rita williams-garcia
dark emperor and other poems of the night - joyce sidman
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
this is like too impossible a question for me. kid cudi? best coast? the like? robyn? local natives? jenny and johnny? young the giant?
28. What did you want and get?
a cute apartment in a cute neighborhood. a niece! my job back.
29. What did you want and not get?
a pregnancy. a niece/nephew from my sister. all of the cute boots in the world.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
uhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhh i can't think of a really good one. oh! i liked scott pilgrim! duh. and easy a.
31. What did you do on your birthday?
i slept in AND took a long nap. then i went bowling and drinking with work friends (and ian) and to late dinner after. i also had fondue dinner with some friends the night before AND ian cooked me a brunch.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
less cold weather!
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
1st half = hippy same clothes every day girl.
2nd half = trying to dress slightly more grown up but really mostly still always wearing the same things i always have! brown, tan, grey, navy, black, white, layers, boots, chucks, jeans, owls, bright pink occasional dress and tights.
34. What kept you sane?
ian and bella
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
the singer from the national
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
same as always - palestine/israel, civil rights for all peoples, health care
37. Who did you miss?
at some point during 2010 i think i missed every single person
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
it's sort of easy to make change you believe in, if you set your mind to it.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
turn the light out, say goodnight. no thinking for a little while. let's not try to figure out everything at once.